Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cape Town Fashion Scene Rocks

Shooting In Llundudno, Cape Town South Africa – January 2009



A gorgeous venue, a beautiful location and great team in place. Our shoot was ready. Cape Town has to be one of the easiest places in the world to organise a fashion shoot. With just a few emails everything can be arranged. That is if you are lucky enough to choose the right people.

The evening of the shoot my Canon’s batteries decided they needed to be calibrated and well that takes twelve hours. Then they have to be charged which takes another ten. So they were not ready by the morning. One call to PhotoHire and batteries were delivered along with all the other equipment in Llundudno. Bascially these guys rock!

A special thanks goes out to Kim our stylist. She pulled a rabbit out of a hat. Other than being reassuringly calm and enthusiastic, she is purely brilliant at what she does. It is hardly surprising that she is one of the most sought after stylists in the Cape Town fashion world.

To everybody from Jade (make up and hair), to my three (yes three) faithful assistants, to the models, THANK YOU. You guys were amazing. I could not have done any of it without you.


I do have to have one little moan. Only because fair is fair. Whilst I know that it was not “Amazing Spaces’’ fault, but they cancelled my first choice, paid in full, contract signed, booked venue, a short three working days before the shoot. The money I had paid and contract I had signed was apparently worthless, because the Prince of Monaco was extending his stay. I considered hiring a lawyer and teaching everybody how to ‘play fair’, but since my clients include royalty (Tuscan and Belgium) and these guys all hang out together, I decided not to give myself a bad wrap. Lisa at Amazing Spaces fought a war for me, but lost against the owner of the house. Who claimed “How can I kick them out?.. They are royalty..”

So I would like to help out and answer his question;

“Dear owner of “Mwanzoleo “,73 Victoria Road, Bantry Bay,

Tell the prince that a big footed, hairy, rather insignificant wedding photographer has paid good money for THAT venue. She flew all the way from Italy (and is terrified of flying) to shoot in THAT venue. She may not be royalty, but she worked her buns off (literally) to earn every cent which went into paying for THAT venue (which cost more than she ever dreamed of earning in a month just seven short years ago). Tell him that he can stay in this amazing place again anytime he likes, but that she may never get another chance to shoot in this venue.

Lastly…on the off chance that the owner of 73 Victoria Road, Bantry Bay, reads this blog, I want to say in good faith, one good turn deserves another. And according to Karma he owes me a little favour. And with Royal friends he is in the position to return my favour of not causing a fuss. So, I leave it to him how to ‘return the favour sir.”

JoAnne Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment