Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Excitement before the Party: Why I love the “getting ready” images?


One of my absolute favourite parts of a wedding is the getting ready. There is such nervousness and excitement in the air. Giggling, panic, joy and tears flow freely as everyone rushes around to be on time. I do my best to fade into the background and capture all these fleeting moments which you will no doubt later forget because you were so nervous and preoccupied. The build up is tremendous and this gives me the energy to deal with the rush which happened the minute you step out the door.

Once we leave the room I have to get all those essential images in a very limited time frame. It’s a huge responsibility and often I can be as nervous as you. To top that off I am cursed with a sensitive soul which absorbs the emotions of others. So if you see me a little shaky do not worry, it is precisely this energy which helps me create image that I just can’t seem to create when I am bored. The anticipation of the party, although torturous can also be one of the most exciting parts of the day.

Another reason I love the getting ready images is because it gives you time to get used to me. I also have time to test out your best angles and get onto your wave length. Parents are often sceptical of this rather strangely looking photographer who seems to be shooting all the wrong things. It’s most important I get the cooperation of all the people you have around you. Therefore this is a good chance for me to make them feel a little more comfortable and assure them that their photo requests will be seen to later.



When wedding magazines request weddings to be published they are very interested in details. Details help tell the story of the months before the wedding. Months of careful planning which should be honoured with a recording of the results of this planning. So I usually start by shooting the details, especial since most of us are not looking as gorgeous as we could be in the early stages of the preparation.



Last but not least it’s a chance to do some quiet portraits just before you walk out. This is a lovely time. It is a calm moment that where you realise what is happening. You look your absolute best and just bursting with excitement. All this makes for a very beautiful portrait session. Now I can do this in fifteen minutes but the longer you give me the more images there will be. And you may not like the way you look today but believe me in twenty years time you will think you were just beautiful.

Joanne Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment